How to lay tile on drywall: step by step guide for beginners
Stylish design to decorate the bathroom, you can use the beautiful tiles on stenahGipsokarton in the toilet and bathroom are now used everywhere: they mask the pipes, creating spectacular falshsteny niches. In the kitchen, this material is also very popular. It is not surprising that more and more often it is placed facing tile.
Is it possible to lay tile on drywall
To all the space the kitchen or bathroom was solid and the finished look, it often try completely tiled. But if the room is a wall or partition plasterboard, tiles should be carried out by a special technology. In particular, the need to take into account the structural features of drywall and type of sheets. In addition, it is necessary to additionally primed before tiling on plasterboard.
Plasterboard - material which is different in thickness, the sheet size properties.
In the bathroom, where there is always a high humidity, experts recommend the use of water-resistant gypsum boards
Manufacturers offer as a regular drywall to painting and decorating, as well as a special water-resistant (gypsum plasterboard), which is designed for installation in areas with high humidity. It is preferable to use it in the bathroom or in the kitchen, and that it is easiest to put the tiles.
Features of the use of different types of drywall before laying tiles.
- Water resistant drywall (gypsum plasterboard) does not require any particular manipulation before installation and trim tile materials. It is sufficient to fix the profiles (use attachment if necessary besprofilnoe gluing tile is not necessary, since the load on the sheet will be substantial), glue seams serpyanku and gloss over putty, and then treated with a special primer, paying special attention to places of joints, fasteners screws or defects in the sheet.
- If not possible to use water-resistant sheet may be used as a base for laying tiles and conventional plasterboard 12.5 mm thick. That it is not deformed by moisture, it is possible to paste a sheet masking grid using PVA adhesive or further away horizontal guides on the frame profile with a pitch of 60 centimeters. Next, the surface is treated with primer and adjusted as in the case of a gypsum plasterboard.
The primer is applied onto the sheets is required. Application is carried out in two coats to the adhesion was maximal. Primer dries quickly, and a lot of time processing does not take: applied layers can be at intervals of 40-60 minutes.
Laying tiles on gypsum board: the choice of adhesive and mix
Before tiling bathrooms with partitions or designs from drywall, you need to pick up supplies for laying tiles. These include: tile adhesive, grout, marking (remote) crosses.
Before buying a special adhesive for plasterboard be sure to check its quality and main characteristics
Earlier tile laid mainly on the adhesive with cement base, but since then there have been several alternative options to achieve better adhesion of tiles with plasterboard.
Types of tile adhesive:
- The same aforementioned cementitious adhesive. He inexpensive, sold and used all over the place including for the installation of tiles on plasterboard.
- Elastic Adhesive sold as a dry mix or a ready solution. He is now considered the most appropriate for the combination of price and quality.
- Glue type "Liquid nails" is also suitable for laying tiles, but its high price makes it more likely option, "ambulance", if you suddenly need to paste one or more tiles.
Adhesive for tiles mixed using a drill and a special nozzle. This is done directly before laying as glue quickly grasped. For the same reason you should not mix it up a lot of time is better as far as spending prepare a fresh batch.
Laying tiles on gypsum board: step by step
In addition to the adhesive for the tiles need to purchase a special trowel mix for joints, which after tiles have already been laid, the joints are treated to make them attractive appearance. It must be chosen based on the tile color, although in some cases looks good just floating with a contrasting color.
Note! Corners need to align the gaps.
Before you begin to install the tiles, first should make marks on the wall and prepare the necessary tools for the job
Their size will depend on how big will the gaps between the tiles. In addition, the tool should be reserved: trowel for glue, level and plumb line to align the first row, Tile and marking pencil.
Step by step instructions for laying tiles on gypsum board:
- On the primed surface and dried make the lower level of the first mark for positioning of the horizontal and vertical rows of tiles. To choose which part of the wall masonry begins.
- Cooking tile for the first row. Lay off the right amount of whole tiles and prune as needed to the desired size of the extreme tiles.
- We put in place marking adhesive with a spatula evenly. Putting a tile and pressed his hand. The same is repeated with the following. Between the tiles, arranged side by side, insert the cross. Gently with a spatula to fill the space between the tiles and remove the adhesive residues.
- We put no more than 5 rows of tiles at a time, and then take a break for an hour. After that, work can continue.
- One day after laying can be removed and put on tic grouting joints with a spatula. Excess grout from the tile can be easily removed with a cloth usual.
Work on laying tiles on gypsum board does not require excessive force, only need precision measurements when laying the first row, so he was put strictly on the zero level. Do not rush to try to do all the work at one time, and then the veneer is securely fastened and last a long time.
Nuances when laying tiles on gypsum board: where to start laying?
Beginners finishers are often unable to correctly determine with any part of the wall to start laying tile. Rarely it happens that the length of the series to the nearest millimeter multiple of the tile size, and you have to sacrifice the beauty of the finished decoration. To avoid this, initially calculate how many tiles as much as is needed for one row, and the size is the remaining piece.
Carefully following all the basic rules for laying tiles, you can make all the repairs with their own hands
use the two tips for a beautiful masonry:
- If the end of the series is a space larger than half the width of the tiles, start laying off the wall edge by the edge that is more noticeable;
- If the remainder of the series of small size, less than half the width of the tile, it is best to look styling from the center to the edges.
Use high-quality materials, including consumables for the tiles, do not neglect the technological methods for working with drywall as a base under the tile, try to adjust the distance between the tiles and the level of the series, to achieve high-quality and beautiful result.
Methods: how to lay tile on gypsum board (video)
With the gradual implementation of step-by-step all the recommendations presented in this article, you can effortlessly create their own hands stunningly beautiful plasterboard structures, lined with tiles, saving on working professionals.