Choose the right screws for plasterboard: 3 wearing styles
Screws are the most suitable fasteners for drywall Drywall - one of the most popular finishing materials based on gypsum. It resembles plaster, but has higher strength properties. This finishing material is also particularly interesting in that it can be used to realize the bold and original interior solutions. Usually, drywall is used only in the living room - for the device of modular partitions, as well as wall and ceiling surfaces. And since the active material is afraid of water and exposure to high temperatures, it should not be used for cladding bathtubs, toilets, work surfaces in the kitchen (about bowls, plates, etc.). In addition, to mount plasterboard sheets is necessary to select a special screw for plasterboard, i.e. several varieties of fasteners, such as self-tapping screws, dowels, nails, etc.
What screws fasten drywall
It must be said that the type of fasteners for mounting drywall sheets, or GCRs, on the ceiling (wall) depends on the attachment method.
Traditionally, for the walls or ceiling of gypsum boards used three ways to mount finishing material:
- On mastic adhesive to the reference beacons;
- By means of screws (tapping screws) to the metal (galvanized profile) or a wooden skeleton;
- With galvanized nails with wide flat bars to the wooden lath (frame).
For walls and ceiling plasterboard using fixing on metal lath using special screws, or rather, self-tapping screws
For this purpose, usually used ordinary black sharp screws to metal (for single GCR) 25 mm long and 3.5 mm in diameter and Phillips countersunk head (second name - "screws on GCR").
If the role of crates used wooden blocks, then for fastening sheets of drywall to the frame of self-tapping screws for wood, which are different from the screws, metal thread pitch. Additionally, when selecting fasteners for GCR preference should be given screws, made of steel with a protective coating (e.g., phosphated screws). Such protective coating protects the fastener from corrosion. As for the size of screws, it is mainly used screws 3,5h25 mm and for a two-layer gipsokratona for single GCR - 3,5h35 mm.
Choose screws for plasterboard Profile
In addition to fixing plasterboard sheets with a profile facing work is also required to install fasteners of the carcass.
Thus, a profile drywall used, preferably, the following mounting forks:
- For near-wall or ceiling profile - dowel-concrete nails having substantially the size of 6x40 mm. If the walls and ceiling are made of wood or wood materials, the profile for fixing screws are used on wood. Fastener dimensions in each case, are caused by the thickness and type of material from which the wall or ceiling.
- To guide profile - for metal screws or self-tapping type "bug" (other names - "drill", "fly", etc.) or size 3,5h9 mm 3,5h11 mm.
- the same types of screws are used to direct the suspension as for the guide profile
To mount chandeliers and other external components to plasterboard use the drop-down plug-Nails
Thus, the type and dimensions for mounting the carcass GCR GCR themselves and other elements to be mounted on drywall, depend on the size and material mounted designs.
How many screws on a sheet of drywall is necessary
In order to properly fasten drywall to wood or metal frame to be maintained following the basic distance between fasteners
- The screws must be positioned on the perimeter of the sheet after every 0.4 m.
- Offset from the edges of the sheet to the screw should be at least 10-20 mm.
- Fastening located in the middle of the sheet after every 0.6 m.
These dimensions are approximate and determined by the estimated number of fasteners for the FCL.
Estimated number of screws per single installation of gypsum board of size 3 m2 - 70 pieces
In addition to these basic requirements for the estimated number of screws should also be considered a step profile attaching to the walls and ceiling that determines the number of dowel-nails and "bug" type screws.
Correcting faulty installation screws
Beautiful walls and ceilings made of plasterboard - it is the result of proper installation and final processing of the sheets GCR. Therefore, after the surface of the drywall sheets to be dyed or wallpaper paste or other film materials. To carry out the final stage of finishing quickly and accurately, the surface of gypsum board must be flat, aided by proper installation screws.
It should be noted that when mounting the metal profile to the drywall screws are used, which must be screwed in to a depth of no more than 2-3 mm in the plane of the GCR.
When the protrusion of the screw screwdriver correction performed by the same nozzle that was used to tighten the screws
As a rule, when facing walls or ceilings sheets GCR may experience the following errors:
- Self rotated profile and slightly protrudes from the plane of the gypsum board, due to the large fabric density and a small thickness of the metal profile. This arrangement prevents the fastener final surface treatment of gypsum boards.
- For attaching drywall screws used for gypsum-fiber sheets, which leads to the appearance of the embossed grooves around the installed fastener.
Eliminating these problems is conducted in the following ways. The surface of the gypsum board in place of the screw fastening prozenkovuetsya screwdriver, after which the screw can easily screwed to the desired depth. When using self-tapping screws with a double gypsum fiber entering and conical head correction is carried out by cutting the embossed pile at the installation groove of the screw office knife.
In general, avoid extra work for the correction of an already installed fastener makes the initial selection of the correct fixing, taking into account the mechanical properties and dimensions of mounted elements and structures.
What are the screws for plasterboard (video)
In other words, it can be concluded that the qualitative drywall sheets on the wall or ceiling must be several kinds of fasteners dimensions and properties of which are selected with the dimensions and characteristics of the gypsum board, the frame and bearing surfaces of the walls or ceiling.